Friday, July 08, 2005

Warewolf in London

I have concern and sympathy for what others in the world are doing and going through. However, it is a pet peeve of mine when the news reports one story over and over and over - showing the same clips over and over and over... you get my point. They interview different people who say the same things... I finally just turn it off and wait for our paper to come out at lunch time. Of course I want the latest news, but I also want the whole story - not just what the media has decided that they can exploit.

In light of all of this, I began to think about my cousin, Timothy who was injured here in Iraq. When my unit was handing off command to the group that was replacing us I was fortunate enough to 'run into' my cousin Timothy. I hadn't seen him in almost 2 decades and we both thought it very ironic that we managed to see each other again here in Iraq. After about a week, I had to move to Baghdad. I talked to Tim via the internet a couple of times after that. However, very little time passed before his convoy was hit and he was wounded. I just finished reading an article (http://www.tonganoxiemirror.com/section/frontpage_lead/story/7491) on him. Tim amazed me in the short time that we had together. Remember - the last time we really 'hung out' was when we were kids - probably 10-ish. He has grown into an admirable young man. This interview and a couple of others that I read made me a little emotional. His perspectives are uplifting. His goals are based on faith and optimism. It was the little shot in the arm I needed this morning. Thanks Tim!! Although having lost half of his leg, he is running again!!

3 comments:

Erik Holtan said...

Hey G,
Yes I like that melon stuff, and Tim is an inspiration!
Erik

Call Me Grandma said...

Thank you for serving our country. May God bless you and your family. Cathy, Sgt. Dan's mom

Call Me Grandma said...

I read the story about your cousin. He is a remarkable man. Please tell him thank you for serving our country...from me. May God Bless him.