Saturday, July 30, 2005

Timing is EVERYTHING

So I haven't posted anything recently... I will get to the "tag, your it" Erik gave me later. I have to spout for a moment about the past week. It's not going to be funny - so if your looking for a laugh try me again tomorrow.

Here's the thing... I am getting ready to go home. That means that I am going back to the people I love and cherish the most. The people who have managed through thick and thin, to make it without their momma, his one-and-only Heather - me for a year now. My children and Johnathan mean the world to me - not this job and not some menial detail like picking up cigarette butts (no, I am not a smoker) and ribs (you've sat there and looked at it for 2 weeks and NOW you are asking ME to pick it up - who needs help with this picture?). Fine I did the police call for the Farewell you are throwing me. Yeah, there is just something a little funky with that picture. The other two who are leaving with me had to go pick up all the food, beverages and ice for the party that is being thrown for them. Is it just me or is there something a little off with this picture? Why does this bother me so much? I guess it is just the fact that one of the personnel acts like he is doing us this BIG favor by doing this. A) We didn't ask for a party - as a matter of fact we asked for something more subtle - like a movie night with popcorn and sodas - where the people we actually liked and appreciated could just hang out and have a relaxing evening with us. (Actually - I first asked for a pool party up in the IZ - we don't have a pool that we are allowed to swim in here at our base. And you know what I think about these Bar-B-Q's in the desert heat, but hey! - Throw one anyway!) B) Many of the people we REALLY enjoyed working with have already left. Because I was out on missions - I didn't even get to attend there farewell - yeah, maybe I am a little bummed about that. But I can deal with it. C) Because we have been trudging around in the heat for the past two days I am completely nauseated. The heat and the sun do not react kindly with me. I will have a hard time stomaching anything this evening, but I will because Erik and Curt have been tasked out all day to make this thing happen. I guess maybe people forget that when you get to this stage - you really start focussing on the real people in your life, the ones that you have a life-long commitment and responsibility to. That is part of what is eating me... their are only 4 people left here that I really have/want to say "thanks for everything, I'll miss you when I finally get out of here." I just wish they would let us leave more quietly in this case. Don't try to make a splash out of a ripple.

We are suppose to be getting ready to return to our families. For the 3 in my group - that is a different scenario for each of us. Johnathan has been handling all of this so well, but I can tell he is feeling pressure from being a single daddy right now. I will always be amazed with how well he has handled this. I wasn't so sure when I left - I don't think he was either. Not in his parenting, but just with the fact of doing it all alone. I wish there was something I could say or do that would really encompass my love and respect for him. Charish - is the only word that comes to mind right now, but that is not enough. It is more than just that. But I'll just get him liquored up and take advantage of him... HA! No, but really... we have birthdays to celebrate, holidays missed, holidays coming up, more birthdays coming up... I wish there was a way to give it all back to each of them. To celebrate the things like 4th of July in the middle of August with Johnathan and the kids... then the week after that: Valentine's Day, then St. Paddy's... you see what I mean.

Don't worry - I have mad a promise to post another "FUN" post tomorrow.

No comments: