Saturday, July 09, 2005

Grandma Peggy's Birthday

Today is my Grandma Peggy's Birthday -if I were actually able to be home I would probably like to just show up at her house and help her with whatever she wanted to get accomplished! Then I would make her a cake and let her know just how wonderful she is. (She always made sure that there was cake and some sort of acknowledgement of your birthday!! Gotta' love that!) I know she is having a little salad luncheon with her gal pal relatives, but let me tell you a few of the reasons my Grandma Peggy is so special to me:
** She always let me stir in the chocolate chips - and on occassion she encouraged us to mix the cookie dough with our bare hands. Loved the feeling of those slimy eggs gushing between my fingers.
** She taught me a few things about planting a veggie garden and a lot about picking them and eating them fresh!
** Piano - I think my first song was "Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater" (I only had to keep hitting one note while she did the other half of our duet). Grandma always encouraged me to play and I am sure it helped with the math (as the studies show) and numerous other things in life.
**She had the softest grass in her yard and always let us take off our shoes and do cartwheels, summersaults, wash the cars, make homemade ice-cream, eat watermellons and have seed spitting contests (OK, I don't remember her being too big on the spitting portion, but she let us, I think!)
**She always complimented each of us on the genuine things that we did well or were proud of! Nothin' phony out of her mouth.
**The poems by Shel Silverstein (who my kids thinks looks like their daddy) and Mother Goose which she read in such a way that you just wanted her to read them over and over and over.... The books by Dr. Seuss when I was young - and the other favorites that she let me borrow or gave me over the years. She helped me find my love for reading.
**On occassion, she would let me come stay over night and she would put in a musical - "Oklahoma!", "West Side Story" or "The Music Man". We would stay up really late and she would let me have a bowl of ice-cream with Grandpa at like mid-night! What a cool grandma!!

Well, these are just a few of the wonderful ways that I am remembering my Grandma Peggy today. I hope you have a wonderful Birthday!! Any of my family that happens to read this today (I know, it's the weekend) give her a call - tell her Happy Birthday again for ME!!

1 comment:

Erik Holtan said...

Happy Birthday to Peggy!
Later G,
Erik