Friday, September 01, 2006

Erik Pushed a Button

My pal Eric, the guy who worked in the cubicle next to when I was in Baghdad last year, blogged on something the other day that just completely pushed my "ROAR" button.

Johnathan and I were just talking about this the other night as well - the whole "Katrina Survivor" issue, for we had caught an interview that was on the evening news.

Here's the jist of it: A man who used to live in New Orleans now lives in Raleigh. He was talking about how the effort to clean the city up, his neighborhood, etc. is taking too long - that nothing is being done. Then he went on to say that he has only been back once for what amounted to just over 24 hours. He hasn't gone back again and won't, he stated.

Here's my take: Are you 4? Did you never learn to clean up your own mess? Dude - it doesn't matter if Mother Nature caused it. I don't care if you don't want to live there anymore - I wouldn't either. However, you still have a responsibility to get back to your place and clean your area up. (My goodness, I say exactly that on the mornings my 4 year old twins don't clean up their breakfast spot.) So many of the "Katrina Survivors" have that same story - their whole complaint is that somebody else hasn't cleaned up for them. WHAT A CROCK!

Furthermore, your lack to clean up your area, land, flooded apartment - whatever - should result in some kind of action. Failure to return and clean it up is resulting in countless volunteers being exposed to the excessive mold, mildew, bacteria and viruses that can grow in those conditions. I agree that it is disgusting - but equate it to your child being sick - you still have to get out the mop or the towels and clean up the mess - you don't just leave it sitting around. And yes - I get it, It is Hard! - Economically, emotionally.... that still isn't an excuse. As my father told me time and time again - "Life isn't fair." (and "You mess with a truck, you get ran over.")

I'm not saying the situation doesn't deserve your neighbors assistance, however, How dare you expect them to do all the work for you. The only real survivors are those that are still there, cleaning up, re-building. Bottom line - your not a survivor - you simply abandoned the society and community you were suppose to be contributing to. You are the social equivalent of a dead beat dad.

2 comments:

Erik Holtan said...

Awesome, do you mean that if the North carolina coast got smoked by a hurricane you wouldn't just leave your stuff where it lay and move on? Man, why would you when the government would just eventually get around to it, and the entertainment community will put on concerts to help give you money to move on.
Yeah, I have not been too livid since I have been home, but I figure I need to spice up the posts. Hope you all are well down in Fayettevile where I do know you just had teh TS move through last night! Have a great Labor Day!

Tamara B said...

That cracked me up. Are you my missing twin? Your thoughts and ideas are much like my own. I even say "peachy keen" all the time. Being a transplant to the midwest, everyone thinks I say it because I grew up around peach farmers. I'll come back and read again some time.