Sunday, October 23, 2005

B-A-D Timing

What does one wear to lunch with the General?? NOT SWEATS!!
Well - just another story of me and my wonderful timing in life will follow!!

As many around me know, Johnathan and I try to do lunch one day a week. Sometimes it falls on his early Tuesday and other times we just squeeze it in over his lunch hour. Dazjah is always with us, so it tends to be a kid friendly, a.k.a. VERY CASUAL, place. Well, last week, I got a little too comfy!

Johnathan called me at about 9-ish to see if we could have lunch together. It was a pretty good day, the only possible catch is that I would be coming from the gym. He said sweaty was fine - we were just going to a Indian place, the smell of the food would totally hide my sweat! *Yeah right!!* So, at the gym I did my usual 2 hour workout and did a quick re-fresh before heading out to lunch. One problem, forgot my bag with the change of clothes because Dazjah was acting like a booger when we left the house. I figure, no biggie - I have an extra pair of sweats (they have a little paint on them, but they are clean) in my car. Quick change and I am on my way to lunch with my sweetie!

I should have known that the lack of "real" clothes was only another omen .... First, the morning was just hectic; 2) when I walked into the gym Dazjah needed a massive clean-up before I could even start my work-out; 3)when I walked out of the gym the cell phone had 7 missed calls - That was the sign I should not have missed - I am lucky to receive 2 calls before lunch and both of them are usually from Johnathan; 4)When I showed up at the restaurant of choice, Johnathan had been waiting for a half-hour ~ if you knew him, you would understand that this makes hungry caveman very irritable. Blah, Blah, Blah - lets get in there and put some good Indian food in his tummy.

Everything is cool until Daddy and his baby girl go to the bathroom to wash their hands. I get up to get baby girls food and who should spot me but the General himself. General Granger, the one Erik, Curt and I worked for under in Iraq is eating at the little Indian dive! WHO KNEW??!! Well, he and his wife are a bit of social butterflies - as is expected for his position, but he calls me out! Worst part - I looked like the best of the white trash Fayettenam has to offer! They were graceful about it though - cordial and didn't even comment on my new grunge look! Even came over to the table when John and DD returned to meet the family - John in his office/doctorly attire, DD in her cute little 2-year-old girly girl outfit and gorgeous curls and me - in my sweats I use for painting, hair up in workout style fashion, and I am sure the sweet smell of sweat probably broke through my body spray.... yummy!

I am never one to dress up or down to run to the store for the emergency carton or eggs, or to make sure my make-up is just perfect before making the toast in the morning, but I will be darned if I make this mistake again - at least for not ... oh, say the next week or two!

By the way - I have started my next set of classes. My Managed Care and Medical Group Practice Management course has a lively instructor - my favorite quote from him thus far is, "Special is the new stupid."

We have done another day of work in DD's room - she now has something close to a Themed room - the walls are beautiful, the fairy/pixie border is up, there are porcelain pixies suspended from her ceiling, there is the wonderful "netting" draped around her bed, the curtains are hung... now if she would just sleep in there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I would have to say it was bad timing, but really you are a stay at home mom, and the General should have just been happy that you were working out. Glad to see that you posted so that I had something fun to read tonight at work.